Highly recommended 🙂
1/2 kilo pumpkin
100g butter (melted)
2 cups sugar
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar or 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Stick of cinnamon (optional)
- Cut pumpkin into squares and place in a pan with 1 cup of sugar and just enough water to cover. Some people like to add a stick of cinnamon for flavor. Cook on low heat until pumpkin is tender.
- Remove the pumpkin, leaving about 2 cups of liquid in the pan.
- Add the flour to the liquid.
- Add 1 cup of sugar and 2 cups of milk while whisking.
- Add the eggs and the vanilla and stir until smooth.
- To intensify the sweet bechamel’s pumpkin flavor, add a few pieces of pumpkin and mash. Pour in the melted butter and give one final stir.
- Mash the rest of the pumpkin squares with a fork roughly.
- Spread less than a third of the pumpkin bechamel in an oven-proof dish, add mashed pumpkin on top, and then cover with the rest of the pumpkin bechamel.
- Place in the oven until surface becomes golden. Serve hot or cold.
Source (lovely blog with beautiful pictures) : http://libyanfood.blogspot.com/2011/01/pumpkin-pie-with-bechamel.html